How can I get companies to quit calling me?

The Telephone Consumer Protection Act of 1991 gave consumers some rights to pursue private claims against corporations who call them without their consent.  The idea was to stop spam calls from clogging up your phone lines and eating up your precious cell phone minutes.  This was a response to the growing use of cell phones by consumers.  The cell phone plans many people had in the early 90s were highly punitive for people who used too many of those minutes.  And since robots calling your cell phone was causing people to use minutes they didn’t have, there was a major expense being created for consumers they did not want or ask for.  The practice still seems to be used in full force by corporations looking to find any way possible to enter your attention.  Corporations are finding their bread and butter advertisements no longer work to reach people so they are grasping at more insidious and potentially invasive strategies to find a way into your mind.  This is all being done to either sell you something that you probably neither want or need, or more frighteningly, just to rip you off.  Fortunately, Congress foresaw the direction corporations were going and gave private attorneys general, like the private attorneys general at CPL, some teeth to punish corporations who were taking things too far.  The Telephone Consumer Protection Act, or TCPA, gives consumers damages for violations of the TCPA.  The major violations are unwanted or not consented to automated calls, or robocalls, from solicitors.  There is a statutory damages, or liquidated damages provision in the TCPA that awards consumers money for each violation.  So, any time you are robocalled, or a company autodials you with a pre-recorded message, you are legally entitled to money, because Congress passed the TCPA.  If you have been the victim of a TCPA violation, such as a pre-recorded message from a corporation that you did not consent to, contact the TCPA attorneys at CPL, we can give you a fast and free confidential case evaluation to determine if you are entitled to compensation.